Sorry I’ve been a little MIA…we’ve been busy with play dates, music class, swimming and enjoying the rest of summer! Being a SAHM means that you forgo some of the beauty luxuries that you had before baby like actually taking the time to style and blow dry your hair, doing more than just eyeliner and lipgloss, and taking the time to shave your legs!
Well, I’d like to share with you some beauty secrets that I learned from Polly Blitzer. She’s a beauty industry expert and a new mom to TWINS! I only have one and I figure if she can do it so can I! Say it with me moms, “we can and will look amazing!” with a few shortcuts!
Here are some of my faves!
- Want to stretch your hairstyle an extra four or five days? Shampoo only the hairline and keep the rest of your hair safe in a shower cap. The hairline shows grease more than anything else so you can salvage and extend your style, giving you the luxury of quicker showers. You can later blot away grease at the part with hand-sanitizing spray (alcohol evaporates it!)
- During the whirlwind of prepping for a family getaway, I inevitably leave something out and have to get creative. You can MacGyver your way to glamour with body lotion (hair pros use it to thwart frizz), olive oil (adds sheen to lids, cheek bones and legs), a credit card (curls lashes, parts hair) and raspberries (the natural pigments stain lips and cheeks).
- Switch to longer-lasting treatments and you’ll save yourself tons of money and time on beauty. Instead of weekly manicures, give bare nails a high-shine gloss with a nail buffing chamois. Skip a salon waxing for an at-home hair epilator tool like Philips Satin Perfect Epilator, which keeps skin smooth and stubble-free for up to four weeks. You can get yours on Amazon at
- Put your tweezers on probation until further notice! This season’s thick full brows are the arch rival of your pluckers. Keep your brows lush and tidy with a Philips Precision Perfect. The eyebrow comb evens out unruly hairs, so you look instantly polished.
- This is no secret but I thought I would share! Big sunglasses are amazing for hiding sleep deprivation and hangovers (that was pre-baby, right??)
- Good news for moms everywhere: Your messy mom ‘do is perfectly on trend. The fall runways forecast intricate updos, from tousled knots and sleek buns. To turn your look from lazy to lovely in seconds, pull hair back into a messy bun and throw a chic pin below it. Polly calls it Nape Candy!
- Want to look wide awake when you’re running on empty? Hide dark circles with a swipe of a luminizing pen then camouflage puffiness with a sweep of matte bronzer on the lightest part of the puffiness. Beyonce’s makeup artist taught me this. It’s the best beauty contouring – the opposite principle of highlighting.
- If there’s one word to describe life as a new mom, it’s clutter. I have twins and there’s just no space for my beauty arsenal anymore. I save time and counter space with products that multitask. My favorites: chubby color pencils. You can apply them without looking and add color to lips, eyes and cheeks that blend into skin with a finger. I call them my ‘sticks of beauty dynamite!’” I also use oil-absorbing sheets that can be used to set makeup, blot away shine, and revive greasy roots when I don’t have time wash my hair.